David Fillman is the Executive Director of Council 13 of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees.
In 2002, Fillman was unanimously elected by the Executive Board to fill the final year of his predecessor’s unexpired term. Since then, he has been re-elected for six three-year terms.
During Fillman’s leadership, Council 13 has added thousands of new members to its ranks, including employees from Merakey (formerly Northwestern Human Services), the state’s largest provider of mental health services.
Fillman serves as Vice President of AFSCME’s International union, which represents more than 1.6 million public employees in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.
He also serves as Chair of the Pennsylvania Employees Benefit Trust Fund (PEBTF), which administers benefits for more than 200,000 participants including Commonwealth employees, their dependents, and retirees. In addition, Fillman has sat on the Board of the State Employees Retirement System (SERS) since 2001, which administers benefits for more than 100,000 retirees of the Commonwealth. In 2015, Fillman was appointed chairman of SERS. Fillman also chairs AFSCME’s Health and Welfare Fund, which handles supplemental benefits for participating Non-State Locals.
Fillman serves as Chair for the Coalition for Labor Engagement and Accountable Revenue (CLEAR). CLEAR is a coalition of labor organizations, including Council 13, representing more than 1.1 million Pennsylvanians. CLEAR advocates for a fair and stable state budget. He also serves as Chair of the Pennsylvania AFL-CIO Community Services Committee.
He serves on the International Union’s Pension Committee, served on the International Union’s Search Committee for President of the United States and also served as a Delegate-at-Large at various Democratic National Conventions.
Fillman’s work on numerous boards has resulted in many honors, including:
- “Man of the Year” Awards from the Montgomery County Central Labor Council, the Chester County Central Labor Council, and the Pennsylvania AFL-CIO’s Work and Family Committee
- The “Bayard Rustin Award” from the Philadelphia Chapter of the A. Philip Randolph Institute
- The “Labor Recognition Award” from the United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania
- The “Outstanding Labor Leadership in Job Safety and Health Award” from the Philadelphia Project on Occupational Safety and Health (PhilaPOSH) and
- The “Labor Human Rights Award” from the Jewish Labor Committee of Philadelphia
- 2007 “Outstanding Support Award” from Harrisburg CBTU
- 2008 National Convention Committee
- Peggy Browning Fund Honoree
- “Outstanding Labor Honoree” from the Greater Westmoreland County Labor Council
- “Recognition of Outstanding Contributions to Community Services” by Central PA Area Labor Federation
- 2012 PA AFL-CIO COPE Honoree
- 2013 “Labor Award” from Northwestern Area Labor Federation
- 2013 “Community Service Award” from Beaver-Lawrence Central Labor Council
- 2014 “Presidential Citation Award” from the Greater Harrisburg NAACP
- 2017 “Lifetime Dedication Award” presented by AFSCME International President Lee Saunders
- 2017 “The PA Power 100 2017 – #79” presented by City & State Pennsylvania