2022 AFSCME Council 13 Scholarship Program now open!
Applications are now being accepted for the 2022 AFSCME Council 13 Scholarship Program!
AFSCME Council 13’s Scholarship Program is for Members Only. Scholarships are one-time-only payments, which may be applied toward educational expenses, such as tuition, lodging and books.
Opens 3/1; Closes 7/1
Essay question: Notwithstanding the overall decline in union density for most of the last half century, a recent wave of grassroots activism – spurred by stagnant wages, social issues, and the pandemic – has emerged in the form of labor actions, organizing drives, and strikes. What can labor unions learn from the past, and how can they benefit from the shifting landscape to help bring about a resurgence of the unionized American middle class?
AFSCME Council 13’s Member-Only Scholarship Program will award the following:
- A total of 48 $500 undergraduate scholarships (6 per District Council).
- The top 4 of the 48 will be selected to receive an additional $1,000.
- One additional $500 statewide scholarship for a graduate student.
AFSCME Council 13 members in good standing, their children and grandchildren (as well as grandchildren of RPEP members in good standing) who are full-time students enrolled in an accredited program of higher education are eligible to apply for AFSCME Council 13 Scholarships. Sponsors must be active members at the time that the Scholarship Awards are processed.
How to Apply
- Complete the Application Form. Please be sure to enter the Social Security Number of the sponsoring AFSCME or RPEP Member.
- Attach a copy of the student’s most recent transcript (high school or college).
- Attach an essay completed by the student (typewritten, double-spaced, not to exceed two pages) responding to a question.
- Attach 3 character references who are not family members. Include name, address, phone number and relationship to student.
- Mail the completed Application Form, transcript, essay and 3 character references so they are received by July 1, to:
AFSCME Council 13 Scholarship Program
4031 Executive Park Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17111-1507
Selection of Winners
Winners will be chosen by a Selection Committee comprised of knowledgeable, exemplary individuals. Selections will be final and binding and are NOT subject to appeal.